Refuse and Recycling
Garbage disposal for Village residents is available at the Village Compactor on Herman Road every Wednesday and Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. A Village permit sticker – mailed in July with summer tax bills – is required. Non-residents may use the compactor services with the purchase of blue plastic bags at the Village Market (Elk Rapids Location). Compactor rules are as follows:
- Compactor stickers allow for the disposal of refuse generated by the occupant of the address on the tax bill to a maximum of six (6) bags, each day the compactor facility is operating.
- Lost stickers can be reissued to the property owner upon receipt of a $75 fee, provided those property owners are willing to sign a written affidavit attesting to the fact that their sticker was lost.
- Compactor stickers should be affixed to the driver’s side of the vehicle windshield.
- If landlords do not issue the sticker to the tenant of their property, the renter shall purchase compactor bags or make other arrangements for their refuse disposal.
- Guidelines for acceptable materials are posted at the compactor.
- Operators will refuse service if rules are not followed.
- The compactor premises are under video surveillence for the safey of citizens and Village staff.
Recycling services are available to all citizens – regardless of Village residency – in the gravel lot to the south of the Elk Rapids Government Center (315 Bridge St., Elk Rapids, MI 49629). The Recycle Center is a self-service facility operated by Antrim County. Recycling rules are as follows:
- Open to all residents
- Acceptable materials include:
- Steel and aluminum cans
- All glass food containers
- #1 PET plastic bottles and containers
- #2 HDPE plastic bottles and containers
- #5 PP plastic bottles and containers
- Newspaper, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, corrugated cardboard and boxboard
Residents with questions regarding these services should contact Department of Public Works Superintendent.
Department of Public Works Superintendent
Village of Elk Rapids